So here we are, in the middle of this horrible (AND AWESOME!) season change. We’re all a little tired of this cold and snow by now, and our summer’s store of vitamin D is on it’s last legs.
So we’re tired. A lot of us have no motivation or drive to get things done, and kind of just want to hibernate (well, we do, anyways). So until the sun comes back in full force, what can you do about it?
Here are some awesome pick-me-up diet and lifestyle ideas that can keep you going through till the end of the grey.
1) JUICING! grapefruits! oranges! kale! ginger! apples! pears! parsley! lemons! carrots! spinach! wheat grass! all of it! juice it!
Juice is a fantastic way for your body to easily absorb a lot of nutrients, while keeping fully hydrated. Not to mention, it’s light, delicious, and relatively easy.
2) Vitamin D supplements. Otherwise known (and rightfully so) as the sunshine vitamin.
We absorb this through our skin all summer long, and it takes about three months to build the proper amounts in our system. This means even half way through summer, we usually still don’t have the proper amount of vitamin D in us. Keep supplements throughout the year to avoid things like S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder)
3) Exercise. Although it’s the last thing we usually want to do when we’re feeling in the slumps – stop thinking about it, and start doing it. It doesn’t have to be vigorous to be of benefit; start your day with a few sun salutations to get your blood pumping and some energy throughout your body and mind.
4) Go to sleep. No, really. Go to sleep. Early. Go to bed at 10pm. Wake up at 6am. This is when the sun is starting to rise. Rise with it. This is the body’s natural rhythm, and allows everything to function optimally.
5) Drink your greens instead of coffee. We know that coffee is the go-to when you’re dragging yourself around, but it’s actually just stealing nutrients and energy from your body in the long run. Not to mention promoting adrenal fatigue which is keep you feeling slumpy all year round. Greens are a nutrient-dense energy boost that can start your morning off right.
Get happy, friends!
-the FGF team