Do you know how much sugar the average North American eats per year?
ONE HUNDRED FIFTY SIX POUNDS! Ain’t that just disgusting?! Yep, the average North American consumes approximately their weight in sugar every year. DON’T DO IT!
You already know that it’s bad for you, but just to drive the point home: high sugar consumption has been linked to cancer, and also contributes to obesity, hypoglycemia, diabetes, candida, cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis. Be sure to check food labels for this sneaky lil’ devil that shows up in surprising quantities, even in unexpected places.
Things to look for on labels, and AVOID:
- Sugar/sucrose (“table sugar”)
- Brown sugar (white sugar with a little bit of the molasses added back in: tricky!)
- Cane sugar (less refined but still processed)
- Caramel (refined sugar + oil byproducts)
- Corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup
- Dextrose and maltodextrin
- Fructose (processed from sugar cane or beets)
- Glucose (usually processed from sugar cane)
- Invert-sugar (mixture of glucose and fructose)
- Maltose (produced when glucose is caramelized)
- Golden syrup
- Artifical sweeteners such as asparatame and saccharin (brand names: Nutri-Sweet, Equel, Splenda, Sweet-n-Low, Neotame): these contain cancer-causing chemicals, and, as opposed to helping with weight loss, in the end actually contribute to weight gain.
- Stevia (the best choice for healthy sweeteners)
- Raw honey
- Dried fruit, i.e. dates (you can soak your dried fruit in hot water, and blend it to make a paste)
- Molasses (contails valuable B vitamins and iron)
- Pure maple or birch syrup
- Coconut nectar or coconut crystals
- Xylitol (Birch sugar)Lo Han or Monk’s Fruit
- Brown rice syrup
- Barley syrup
Remember though, just because an item shows up on our “healthier sweeteners” list doesn’t mean it’s necessarily good for you, but that it can be more safely consumed in moderation. These items can still spike your blood sugar (with the exception of stevia) when consumed in excess, so enjoy, but don’t overdo it.
Stay sweet, friends!
the FGF team